- becoming a barber in a top Merseyside or UK salon
- entering the fashion industry and photographic professions
- working abroad or on cruise ships
- working in film, television and media production
- entering teaching and training professions
- becoming a technician for top companies like Wella, L’Oreal or Schwarzkopf
All apprenticeships at tpm are individually planned to suit each student’s needs, ability and preferred learning styles.
Barbering Apprenticeships FAQs
Click on a question
- Is barbering for me?
- Do I have to pay to do an Apprenticeship?
- Do I need any qualifications to get on a barbering Apprenticeship?
- What happens on an Apprenticeship?
- What will I gain?
- What can I do after my Apprenticeship?
Is barbering for me?
Barbering is all about cutting, styling and caring for men’s hair. It is a busy, creative industry and suits people who like fashion and mixing with different people. To succeed, you should be creative and energetic, punctual and committed. Good communication skills are important.
Do I have to pay for an Apprenticeship?
If you’re aged 16 to 19, the Government will usually pay for you to do an Apprenticeship. If you’re over 19 you might need to find an employer to sponsor you. If you’re aged 24 or over, you may be eligible for a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan.
You don’t need many formal qualifications but you will be expected to achieve maths and English at the relevant level to your Apprenticeship, if you have not achieved GCSE or functional maths and English at school
If you don’t have these skills yet, you may be suitable for our Traineeships programme.
As a barbering apprentice you are employed for at least 12 months in a local salon. Apprentices earn a salary whilst training.
Once a week you attend tpm’s training centre where you undertake the training required for your apprenticeship. On a barbering apprenticeship, this includes learning how to:
- cleanse and condition
- cut and style
- colour and perm
- deliver high quality customer care
- prioritise health and safety
The rest of your working week is spent ‘on the job’, in your salon, where you will learn practical and interpersonal skills from barbering professionals.
Your Apprenticeship will give you:
- NVQ Level 2 in barbering and other qualifications that qualify you to work as a barber
- Strong interpersonal and practical barbering skills
- Work experience
- An understanding of the importance of respecting people and different cultures
Once qualified, you can progress onto our Advanced Apprenticeship in hairdressing. These 12 – 18 month courses increase your chances of promotion and further advance your career. Beyond this you can equip yourself for a management role with a level 4 qualification. We can also advise you on progressing into higher education.
Many apprentices continue in employment with their salon after completing their Apprenticeship.